EXPLANATORY STATEMENT FOR COUNTY VOTERS’ PAMPHLET
Local Option Tax for Library Services
Measure Number: __21-197___
Before the formation of the Lincoln County Library District, people living in unincorporated areas of Lincoln County and Depoe Bay did not have access to a public library without paying for a library card. In 1991 the city libraries of Lincoln City, Newport, Siletz, Toledo and Waldport began contracting with the Library District to receive funds for providing fee free library service to all residents of Lincoln County. In order to continue this service, voters in 2014 renewed a local option tax levy at 9¢ per $1000 assessed value which expires in 2020-2021. Approval of this measure will renew the levy for another five years and allow the fee free service to continue.
Who votes on this measure?
Every voter living outside the city limits of Lincoln City, Newport, Toledo and Yachats.
Why is renewal of the 5-year local option tax needed?
To ensure that you will continue to have full access to the public libraries in Lincoln City, Newport, Siletz, Toledo and Waldport.
The library services include:
• Check out books, videos, DVD’s, ebooks and other library materials.
• Reserve books, videos, DVD’s and other library materials 24 hours a day through the Internet
• Internet access to reference databases
• Summer Reading Program for children and teens
• Library programming for all ages
• Computer use for Internet access: check e-mail, apply for jobs, information search, etc.
• Courier service which brings materials you request from other libraries to your local library
• Interlibrary Loan Services – access to materials around the state and around the world
What happens if the tax does not pass?
Based on current year revenue and the current distribution formula, libraries may annually lose up to:
· Driftwood (Lincoln City) - $61,805
· Newport - $91,472
· Siletz - $19,777
· Toledo - $29,666
· Waldport - $46,972
Some or all of these things may happen at your local library if the levy is not renewed:
• May require people living outside the city limits of Lincoln City, Newport and Toledo to purchase
a library card in order to use these city libraries
• Reductions in:
Hours of library operation
Purchase of books and other materials
Library programs and services
• Possible changes in agreements for city library usage by Library District residents
(This information submitted by Brian Fodness, President, Board of Directors, Lincoln County Library District)